9 June 2008
Where was I?
Friday over at Mollie and Hugh's celebrating her new job and just doin' that Friday hang out thing. Shouldn't have moved from wine to vodka. I'm sure there's some saying that rhymes and tells you not to do such combinations, but I can think of nothing that rhymes with vodka, so there you have it.
Saturday was Lisa & I & Alicia & Dan first stopping off at a studio show at our neighbor's art studio near the Mattress Factory lofts. Around 20 artists were available with their works and works-in-progress. We all pitied the 2nd floor artists who had to suffer 110+ degree temperatures in their studio (making ice sculpture a desirable yet impractical medium). Odd coincidence of the year: after we left the gallery, we realized that not only had we all worked with Todd's brother (who was at the show) but also had drank with them several times after work. I'd been talking to him for months and we never made the connection. Weird. Eventually continued on to the 7:00 PM Braves game. We had tickets to the 755 Club and seats behind the Braves dugout, but ended up staying the whole game at an outside table at 755. Post-game bars consisted of The Shed, Depot, then Top Flr, where we were the Worst Friends Ever and made Alicia and Dan call for a taxi to get home.
Sunday was the Virginia Highlands Summerfest. We missed hanging out with the brother, sister-in-law, and niece at the Summerfest on Saturday, and missed the Murphy's wine sale, but made up for it on Sunday with the purchase of some new artwork!
A collograph by Linda Gourley titled The Red Baron: Study I. Her work was various mixed-media-type printing with crazy animals doing crazy things. Ducks riding a wiener dog was a must-purchase item. There's another version of the print on her site, but the colors and details don't appear as interesting as the one we purchased. The frame she made fit it nicely and it works well above our Asian-influenced China cabinet (Peking Ducks!). After an hour or so of hellish heat, we abandoned the fest for a late lunch at Atkins Park, then went our separate ways. The sun absolutely drained us, so it was lazy pizza dinner at home with the not-quite-as-bad-as-it-could-have-been Lucy Liu movie Rise: Blood Hunter.
- Music from the Sonic Generator concert, 6 May 2015 posted by sstrader on 7 May 2015 at 11:01:42 PM
- The strangely enduring power of kitsch posted by sstrader on 21 December 2014 at 4:34:46 PM
- Nowhere Men phantom issues posted by sstrader on 22 April 2014 at 11:55:50 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 22 February 2014 at 11:54:34 AM
- New comic books discovered in Denver in October posted by sstrader on 7 December 2013 at 11:06:53 AM Other entries categorized in Where was I?:
- Seattle and music posted by sstrader on 29 August 2016 at 9:00:30 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 3 April 2016 at 9:45:57 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 9 January 2016 at 10:35:51 AM
- Peachtree Road Race 2015 posted by sstrader on 11 July 2015 at 11:45:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 4 June 2015 at 9:22:23 PM